Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Day of the Dead (El Dia de los Muertos)


To my dearest friends and family,
I hope everyone got out there to vote!!! I received my absentee ballot this last week, and got it sent on Wednesday. I really hope it made it in time.
On to more exciting things! Nicolle and I really enjoy pasta; and I mean, REALLY REALLY! But, there is just one problem, spaghetti sauce is around $2.25 to $3.00 a jar. No Joke! So, in the spirit of American ingenuity, we are going to can our own spaghetti sauce this next week, and we are really excited about it!
In other news, today is not only the presidential election for the United States of America, it also marks the six week date for our return to the good old U.S.A.! We have enjoyed our time here, I have learned so much and know that I am much more prepared for my future ministry in both the U.S. and in a Latin country, but we are both really excited to come home. We cannot wait to see our friends and family, and celebrate Christmas at home. Speaking of celebrations, some have been wondering what we will be doing for thanksgiving. Well, my PRIME mentor and his wife, both of whom are from the U.S., always have a big dinner for thanksgiving, and they have invited us over to join them. I’m pretty pumped about it, especially because the last care package that we got from my mother in law had cans of sweet potato’s for making the best sweet potato fluff casserole that you have ever had! Mmmmmmm….I am drooling just thinking about it!
The locals just finished celebrating The Day of The Dead. This is more then just the Mexican version of Halloween, it is a combination of ancient native Mayan traditions and other traditions from the Catholic church. As I promised, I took a gazillion pictures when I went down town to see the festivities, over 170. So, if you want a taste of Mexican culture, please go to my Blog and take a look at the pictures! What is the day of the dead you ask? The idea is that one day a year spirits are allowed to travel back to earth and visit family. So, people build shrines for loved ones that have died. These shrines are decorated with bright yellow and purple flowers that are supposed to attract the spirits, and packed with food and drink. The aroma of the food is supposed to feed the spirits, and honor them, and the drink is supposed to quench their thirst from their long journey. After the celebration, the family members consume the food to the honor of their lost loved ones. While we were down town checking out the festivities I was interviewed three times by Mexican high school students who had to practice their English with native English speakers. It was really fun, and even Dennis got to do an interview! We also checked out the Mexico City post office. Dennis asked me if I had ever been to the post office, and sense I had not, we stopped by. It is a beautiful building, solid marble and brass on the inside, very old school, like the post office in Washington D.C. While we were there we were treated to a free concert by an authentic Mariachi band from Veracruz. They were so good! You can also see a video of them playing by going to my Blog.
I think some of the most exciting news I have to tell is from this last Sunday. I had the opportunity to teach for the youth group again. Huberto and I thought it would be a good idea to teach on ghosts, death, the after life, and spirits. The kids were so interested, and asked so many questions, that we ran out of time and are going to continue the teaching discussion next week! I am so excited about the kids and all of their interest and questions. We are talking about some pretty heavy stuff, and they are not only keeping up, they are asking for more. Who says teens don’t like theology?
Well, for the first time ever in my life, all of my Christmas shopping is finished before thanksgiving! I have never done that before. I accredit it to my super organized wife and her shopping skills at the local artesian market, and my mother in-law for giving me a really good idea. That’s all for now, thanks for reading.

Pease pray for: a change in the attitudes of the kids in our colonia regarding church (its not scary, boring, bad, uncool, etc.); my school load, for getting homework done; for our ministry with our core kids and strengthening their faith; for our continued relationships and out reach with the youth or our colonia.
—Shalom.

No comments: