Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Interesting conversations on the homefront (Nicolle)

I was able to have some very deep conversation with my host mom and oldest daughter. It started out with her asking about my mom and how she was doing with me being so far away. I was trying to get the point across that it is hard, but she's not miserable like people seem to expect and ended up getting it across that I live 3 hours from my parents and we live 2 1/2 from Jon's. It is definitely different from the culture down here.
Anyway, we ended up talking about how she lives in a different state from her family and how she was married at 17 pregnant at 18. We talked about the culture here and how it is common to have a lot of kids and I asked why have so many kids if you don't have a lot of money and she told me it is kind of a machismo thing. The more kids you have as a man, the more manly you are. I said that was funny because they don't do all the work, they thought that was funny.
We also talked about how young children are having babies and shoe sizes and just the difficulty of living in Mexico. It was very enlightening conversation. That is all on the homefront...it is long and repetitious days for me :)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

This is really cool! I love being able to get a glimpse into your Mexico life. MWAH Mama

Van said...

Jon & Nicolle......
I really enjoy the newsletter and the pictures....thanks for all the effort that it take to long those int! I makes us feel like "we are there" with you!! Van