Monday, June 2, 2008

Vicious dogs and Pavlov’s turkey


This Monday of the new week brought me three new surprises. When I arrived at school today I found out that I can sleep an extra hour because I have been placed in one on one classes. These don’t start until 9:00am but I can still accomplish much because I am the only one in the class!

Secondly, I have all new teachers this week! I kind of miss my old teachers, but it is nice to have some new faces and meet new people. The purpose behind this is to force students to learn different voices, which, as you may or may not know, voice quality has a large impact on the level of understanding. For example (por ejemplo in Spanish), I can understand one of our teachers very, very well. I think it has to do with how clearly he speaks, the speed, and how he uses his body language. However, when I get into a store, or try to talk with a bus driver it is sooooo much more difficult than someone I am used to speaking with every day.

The third surprise wasn’t really one of great magnitude for today, because it happened yesterday. The dog, who’s name is Terrible, TRIED TO EAT MY SPANISH/ENGLISH DICTIONARY! Yes, that’s right. Next to my Bible, my most prized book, the same book I use like five billion times a day! Yah, a corner of it is pretty mangled…but life goes on, I can still read it.

Bye for now

Jon



Oh, I almost forgot, your probably wondering what the Pavlov's turkey is all about. Well, if you remember from your psychology classes in College (or for some, maybe that was a purple haze...) Pavlov was that guy that got a dog to drool by wringing a bell. Well, there is a turkey here at our host family’s house who will gobble every time your wistle at it in a certain way. It is really funny! If I can figure out how to load videos I will put in on this blog. Until then, use your imagination!

No comments: