Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Independence Day!



To my beloved fans,
Last night all of Mexico joined in celebration of their independence. It was really fun (see photo bucket for more pictures and videos, http://jonnicolleinmexico.blogspot.com/)! There are many similarities between America’s 4th of July, and Mexico’s 15th of September, like fireworks, the big ones you go see, and the small ones that the kids set off 20 feet from our apartment window…yah, I almost pooped my pants. Seriously, this one that went off, I thought I was going to go out side and find body parts, or a car flipped upside down…broken glass to say the least. But, all was well…until I chase those punks down!!! Ok, not really.
To celebrate Huberto and I decided to take a group down town to see the show, play the games, and what not. We had a great time down there, I even won a Elmo doll by popping three balloons with three darts! I also tried some interesting food that I had never had before, a Mexican Elephant ear for one, apparently their not just popular in the U.S. We walked around and saw all of the carny rides, listened to the ride drivers trying to get us to climb aboard, and the kids screaming in with excitement. They even had bumper cars, which, to be honest, I really wanted to ride! There was also a stage where they had singers performing classic folk songs that everyone knew and sang along to. That was fun because the singers were dressed in full out classic Mexican garb. Sorry, none of the pictures turned out, I was too far away, and it was too dark. After those guys sang, a huge mariachi band came up and played! There were six or eight violins, just as many guitars, four horns, and a bass. I think that was my favorite part of the show. So, at eleven pm the culmination of the party started when the governor of the state came up and presented a little speech where he shouted, “long live Hidalgo!” and other such hero’s of the revolution. Then there were three chants of “long live Mexico!” that everyone in the audience helped with, directly after which they rung the special bell, and the fire works started! It was a good show, but there were times when I was worried. A few of the fire works went off before they reached altitude; I think one of them actually went off on the ground! But, it was really cool!!!


Please pray for: me as I plan and teach on Saturdays, Huberto’s and my ministry with the kids, that God would open their hearts for His gospel, for more Spanish (to understand, and be understood), and for Nicolle as she starts classes at the end of this month. THANK YOU!

No comments: