Sunday, September 21, 2008

preaching and playing

Friends,
Ok, believe it or not, I actually did many, many things this week. However, I do not have pictures. So, I’ll tell you what; next week I will have the camera surgically implanted in my forehead so that I will get shots of everything that I do.
So what did I do you ask? Well, lets just say, if I told you, I’d have to kill you! Not really. But this last Wednesday was really fun because Huberto and I went to a movie with some of the kids from our church and the local community. We saw the new Vin Diesel movie…it was ok, but I wouldn’t go again. Heck, I wouldn’t rent it! It had a good start, a good middle, plenty of action, and the DUMBEST ending of a movie I have seen sense Dule (you remember, the 70’s movie, crazy truck driver…yah, that was a waist of time). Ok, so the out of church movie night was a hit, and we plan on doing it once a month.
In other news, I GOT TO TEACH for the Saturday afternoon youth meeting for the FIRST TIME!! It was a good experience, and I learned much. I think the kids did too, and really, were interested. Actually, just today one of the students asked me to e-mail her all the verses that I had looked up. I am glad that her interested has gone beyond youth group and church and has moved into her personal study. While the kids that I really wanted to talk to (from the local community) did not show up, I think that once the word gets out that the church is not boring, and that we do have something to offer them and their lives—to improve their lives, they will come. But this takes time, and relationships of influence. And that is what you can pray for.
Something else has been going on the last few days, something that I do not quite understand. Drunk people love me, they really do. I have had more conversations with drunk people sense I got here than I ever have in my life! Now, if you think I have trouble with Spanish when the people are sober, let me tell you, I get next to nothing when the person is drunk. And it not for lack of trying. Anyway, there is a guy that lives across the street from the church who has been coming by the church for the last week. He often starts conversations with me, but I, unfortunately, have to ask other people to talk to him because I have NO IDEA what he is saying. Well, today was his second time coming to church, and I really think that God is moving in his life. After church got out, a couple of people and kids from youth group went over to his house and cleaned it up, did his laundry, and got him a little food. This guy has seriously hit rock bottom. While I was there I noticed some of the art trinkets that we helped the kids make in V.B.S. a month ago. Those little cards and toys had bible verses on them, and other like “God is with us,” “God is in control,” and “God loves you.” I seriously think that this guys kids came to V.B.S., gave their dad some of their things, and he saw them and got curious and came seeking. I pray that he finds God and gets cleaned up.
Oh, one last thing! Last Sunday I got to play bass in church! It was great, really. I haven’t gotten to play bass in church in over three months, so as you can imagine, I have really missed it. I think that I will get the chance to play bass in the future, and for that, I am thankful. May God richly bless all of you my friends.


Please pray for: help with my Spanish as I teach on Saturdays, me and Huberto’s ministry here in the neighborhood, for Juan (the guys that lives across the street from the church) to clean up and choose God, and for Nicolle as she starts classes next week.

No comments: