Thursday, July 10, 2008

Cooking at 8,000 feet


friends,

So, if you didn’t know, one encounters many cooking obstacles when cooking and baking at high altitudes. Also, if you didn’t know, Mexico city is at 8,000ish feet. Add to this a crazy gas stove and you never know weather your food is going to be under cooked or resembling a charcoal briquette. Under normal circumstances (like gages that tell the actual temperature), I enjoy using gas for cooking, but we don’t have that either. I just kind of open the oven door and judge the temp by the heat wave that hits me in the face. Yes, I realize you can buy temperature gages…IN THE STATES! I looked; they didn’t even have one at Wal-Mart! We went to this really fancy, upscale kitchen store in this really fancy mall and found a temperature gage, a laser temperature gage that cost $80.00!. putting things bluntly, cooking in Mexico City is a royal pain in the neck. So far, we have not completely ruined anything, though some baked dishes were unfit for consumption around the outside of the pan…and the bottom… The close calls of date are: broccoli cheese casserole, bread sticks, boiled eggs, pizza, and cookies. Did I mention that rising time is different? Did I mention that all the ingredients are in Spanish, yah, finding baking soda was a gas. Ok, this rant is now officially over. Thank you for listening. I’m glad I have you to talk to, a shoulder to cry on.

1 comment:

drpoulette said...

Hey guys...have your parents bring you a thermometer for the oven. It will help a lot!!! They are cheap in the States. Welcome to our world.