Monday, July 7, 2008

I have the best job in the world!



Loved ones,

Mexican sayings for shopping. What men say: Yo lo quiero bueno, bonito, y barato! (I want it good, pretty, and cheep!). What women say: Yo lo quiero bueno, bonito, y El paga! (I want it good, pretty, and he pays!).

Earlier this week Huberto and I went to down town Mexico city to meet with a Rapper that we wanted to hire to sing for the closing day of Vacation Bible School. Yah, these Mexicans know how to party! Well, it was a fun experience to get down there; it always amazes me just how big Mexico City is. It took us over an hour to get there by car and subway (which, is quite fast). The city is so big that when we got on the subway it was sunny out, and 30 min later when we got off it was raining buckets in a different part of town! At the end of the day I was a little wet, more familiar with the public transportation system, and we have a rapper for V.B.S. Okay, okay. I’m sure many of you are wondering, what on earth do little kiddy-widdies want with a rap concert. Well, it’s not really for them. During V.B.S. week the little ones meet in the morning, and in the afternoon Jr. high, and high school kids are going to participating in a soccer tournament and other games. And the end of the week we are going to have large group games, award the soccer champs, the rapper, and PIZZA! (yes, pizza is the cross cultural church youth group food of choice!)

In other news, I put to use the machinist and roofing skills to use this week. Strange combination, I know, so here is how it played out. The church recently bought a new projector and Huberto and I decided we could put it up. This required drilling and tapping four holes in a steal beam…20 feet in the air! Yup, I machined the holes using the fearless insanity on ladders I learned while roofing last summer.

Coming up, the latest on my level of angst… I have Monday off. Tuesday through Friday I begin to wonder what on earth I am doing in Mexico doing office work and pencil pushing. I really don’t like office work. It is very difficult for me to sit there all day and plan, organize, take notes, brain storm, and search for stuff on the internet. Oy… And then Saturday and Sunday role around and it all becomes worth it. Hanging out with the kids is the best; I really get a bang out of it! So what have I learned from all this? I’ll tell you. When I get into my own ministry, I’m going higher a few secretaries and dump it all on them!!!!!!!!!

Please pray for: Strengthening our relationships with the kids on our block; that they would all come to the soccer tournament during V.B.S., hear the word of God, and be transformed by God’s love and truth; continuing Spanish improvement, and that all of the details for Nicolle’s semester at Iberoamericana would get worked out (don’t ask, it is a long and depressing story; but we need help).

—Shalom.

P.S. if you haven’t yet, check out the blog, it’s cool: http://jonnicolleinmexico.blogspot.com/

No comments: