Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Vacation Bible School and the Dark Knight!



Friends and Family,

Exciting happenings are…well…happening here in our little coroner of Mexico! This last Saturday Huberto and I went to the airport to pick up the work group from Apex Ministry in North Carolina. Eleven people in all, the pastor, his wife, a mother of one of the kids, which brings me to my favorite part, 9 high school teens! They are so much fun! Some of them speak a little Spanish, some of them speak more Spanish then me! All in all, we are off to a good start and excited about the week.

Today was the first day of Vacation Bible School and it was a HOOT! We had about thirty or forty little kiddies running around, singing songs, learning stories, and memorizing Bible verses. Today’s verse was Jeremiah 10:10: pero El Señor es el Dios verdadero (for the LORD is the true God). Today’s lessons were focusing on the truth that God is real, good, and interested in them. I had a good time helping out with the kids and going from activity to activity with them. I connected with two boys that I think were probably in the forth or fifth grade, David and Ricardo. Great kids! I also took a gazillian pictures and a few videos that would be on photo bucket (see my blog for the link) but I left the camera in a friends car…oy.

In the afternoons of this week Huberto and I have organized a soccer tournament. Today was the first day and largely, a success. We formed teams and played team building games in which they got to know each other and make new friends. Points were given to the teams that accomplished the games the quickest or with good team spirit. I am really excited about the next few days, excited to make new friends, build relationships, and see God work in the lives of these kids.

In other news, Nicolle’s classes start next week. I think that she is excited to finally have something to do, although if you knew the hassle she has had to get these classes started…it is enough to make some people want to run away to Alaska! However, we have recently found a few nice places for a hot date: a coffee shop, a few unexplored markets, and two very nice malls, at one of which we just saw the new Bat man movie. Incidentally, it was a FANTASTIC movie, Heath Ledger did a breath taken job playing the Joker, absolutely insane.

Please pray for: for all the details of Nicolle’s classes to get worked out, for strong relationships with the kids on the block, for the right opportunity and right words to lead them to Christ, for our friends from Apex. Praise God!

—Shalom.

No comments: