Thursday, July 3, 2008

Sobering Thoughts (Nicolle)

Last night, Jon and I were returning from a very late night Wal-mart run and wanted nothing more than to go to bed when we got caught up in discussion with two wonderful women from the church. These women have been such a blessing to us and are so warm and welcoming we never suspected the secrets their pasts held. One had been raped around my age (a little older) and the other had been beaten by her father and married a man that beat her. She takes care of this father, he lives in her house and she changes his diapers, bathes him, cares for him. Her siblings not only do nothing to help, they steal from her and cheat her. I do not know how she makes it through the day with this as her existence. How much bigger she must allow God to be in her life than I allow him to be in mine if I cannot imagine how she goes on.
Today these histories played back in my head and made me think of her children and how much they knew about their father. Regardless of whether they know how their father beat their mother, they know that their father is angry and is unable to be a father to anyone. From an earlier conversation with Huberto, I know this to be the life of many in Mexico. Now having the details of one such story, my heart is torn. I realize that Huberto, who hasn't had a father since he was young, will be a father to many. I know he will do wonderfully and will break this pattern by being an amazing father to his own children someday...but wow how this nation who has no idea what a good father is like, need the Heavenly Father. It is easy for me to believe in a loving Heavenly Father, because I have a loving earthly father who means the world to me, but for these people who need to know God is a loving father, it is even harder for them to believe because so many of their earthly fathers have failed.


"Do not let your hearts be troubled. trust in god; trust also in me. In my Father's house are many rooms; if it were not so, I would have told you. I am going there to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am.
John 14:1-3

No comments: